Kenseth Claims Fifth Win of the Season
With only two races to go before the NASCAR Chase for the Sprint Cup begins, competition on the track is at fever pitch, making for some nail-biting action for both competitors and spectators. More than 100,000 fans showed up to watch Saturday’s race at Bristol Motor Speedway and saw Matt Kenseth take the checkered flag for the fifth time this season, with Kasey Kahne close behind, followed by Juan Pablo Montoya, Brian Vickers and Joey Logano in the top five places. That Kahne didn’t make first place was not for lack of trying as he repeatedly tried to pass Kenseth in the last twelve laps of the race, but it was not to be as Kenseth pushed ahead for the win.
Some keen followers of the NASCAR Sprint Cup series appeared to anticipate that Kahne may wreck Kenseth in retaliation for being wrecked by him earlier in the season at Watkins glen, but in a post-race interview Kahne noted that he just doesn’t wreck people and tried to pass as clean as he could, voicing some frustration that he had not been able to make it happen. Nonetheless, he achieved a finish, and in a good position, putting him 8th in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Standings.
The top twelve in the Sprint cup standings at present are:
1. Jimmie Johnson – #48 Chevrolet – 821 points
2. Clint Bowyer – #15 Toyota – 803 points
3. Carl Edwards – #99 Ford – 768 points
4. Kevin Harvick – #29 Chevrolet – 760 points
5. Kyle Busch – #18 Toyota – 739 points
6. Matt Kenseth – #20 Toyota – 736 points
7. Dale Earnhardt Jr. – #88 Chevrolet – 714 points
8. Kasey Kahne – #5 Chevrolet – 701 points
9. Greg Biffle – #16 Ford – 698 points
10. Joey Logano – #22 Ford – 685 points
11. Brad Keselowski – #2 Ford – 681 points
12. Kurt Busch – #78 Chevrolet – 679 points